IS it normal to experience fatigue when recovering from diverticulitis

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: From january untill april i had several attacks of diverticulitis, was in and out of the hospital for those months and had a lot of painkillers like ibrupofen 800, morphine and lost a lot of weight because of severe diarrhea. had a sigmoid resection on april 16 and had flagyl and morphine for a couple of days. I am still very tired and extreme fatigue. Is this normal or also possible because my condition was very bad when i went into surgery
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Common complaint, no worries, stay compliant to management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

i read your question and i understand your concern. With diverticulitis symptoms that severe there is no wonder you feel fatigued and exhausted. Weight loss, chronic diarrhea, sigmoid resection altogether have cause this body fatigue and lethargic status.

Continue your medication and focus on your diet and electrolytes,. Plenty of fluids full of electrolytes solution, diet rich in fiber minimum of 14 gram fiber for every thousand calories diet, regular exercise of minimum of 30 minutes a day is mandatory.

Probiotics have also shown promising effects for the relief of diverticulitis symptoms. So i would suggest their use as well.

Stay compliant with the treatment plan and do as directed. These symptoms shall resolve with the passage of time.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan