IS TSH of 5.83 normal?

Question
I have did my thyroid test on 22.07.2014 & my TSH is 5.83, is it normal??
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Ashwin Bhandari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Slightly elevated

Detailed Answer:

The TSH level is slightly elevated. The normal range is 0.5 - 5.7mU/L. It could be compensation of the thyroid hormones. You need to get T3 and T4 levels done to check whether they are in the lower range or in the normal range.

If its in the lower range it would suggests clinical hypothyroidism and in the normal range then it could be subclinical hypothyroidism.

I would like to know if you have any symptoms like excessive cold or sweating, increase in weight even when your appetite is low, fatigue, mood swings or irregular menstrual cycles.

The treatment would depend on the T3 and T4 levels. So, please get these tests done and mention the reports or see an Endocrinologist with the reports for further treatment.

Hope this answers your query. If any further questions, will be happy to help.

Regards.