I%E2%80%99m trying to figure out whats wrong with my throat

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Sat, 23 Mar 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I%E2%80%99m trying to figure out whats wrong with my throat but it constantly feels closed and even more so when i get a cold. i have a small cold now but my throat feels even more closed than usual. Can anyone help me understand what%E2%80%99s going on? i also noticed I have a small canker sore near the back so that may be why its kind of red, but I%E2%80%99m not sure if this looks normal.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do you have any pain while swallowing?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

It is difficult to tell if for sure the throat is closing up from the attached image. Also, it doesn't show any acute inflammation. Unfortunately, the tonsils are not exposed for me to be able to adequately comment on size.

However, persons with closed throat would often have difficulties swallowing and breathing. You could also get the impression that food gets stuck while swallowing. If you have these symptoms, I will recommend you get formal evaluation by an ENT specialist.

If you could also capture a better image with the mouth wide open exposing the entire back of the throat could allow for more in depth review. However, the current image doesn't show worrisome findings.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. I hope to hear from you. Feel free to ask follow up questions as appropriate.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng