I woke yesterday morning with very bad cramp in my
Could be due to proctalgia.
Thanks for choosing 'Ask a Doctor' service.
Your history sounds more like proctalgia. Proctalgia is a pain due to a spasm of the pelvic floor muscles, the muscles of the anal sphincter, and the muscles of the rectum(All three involved in your case). This causes generalized pain in the rectum.
Consult an MD for Proctoscopic examination of anal and rectal canal.
A colonoscopy might be done to rule out inflammatory bowel disease as a primary cause of the problem.
As of now, I would suggest you take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen and antispasmodic like Dicyclomine 10 mg thrice daily(not over the counter).
Stress may also cause it. So if you have some kind of stress would suggest you take natural Lactium capsules.
Hope I was helpful,
Feel free to follow up with reports,
Yes, inflammation could spread.
Constipation causes stagnation of food. This stagnated food acts as a breeding medium for bad bacteria's yeast and fungus. They could cause inflammation along the layer of intestine hence causing spasmodic pain.
Miralax would just make stool softener but won't kill bacteria or fungus.
I would suggest you go for a stool culture analysis test to rule out the above possibility. Till that time take medicines as suggested along with a probiotic daily.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for chronic pancreatitis and recurring ribs pain
- What causes an itchy red rash around the anus?
- Suggest treatment for chronic vomiting when diagnosed with gastroenteritis
- Suggest treatment for severe pain in the ribs
- Is Rabeprazole an effective medication for reflux esophagitis?
- What causes excessive burping and abdominal pain?
- Suggest treatment for severe back pain
- Suggest natural treatment for severe acid reflux
- What causes black stool?
- What causes intermittent pain after anal fistulotomy?