I woke up with a low humming sound in my

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 27 Feb 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I woke up with a low humming sound in my left ear. It was intermittent but it persisted while I was in bed. It disappeared as soon as I got up and has not returned after several hours.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus...

Detailed Answer:

The humming sound you describe is known as tinnitus. There are various causes for tinnitus. By your description - it started while in the bed and then disappeared thereafter - the cause could perhaps be a blocked eustachian tube or benign inner ear dysfunction (related to posture).

Since you are alright now, I will not be overly worried. It may not recur again for now. Stay relaxed. Drink plenty of fluids and stay hydrated.

Hope this helps. Let me know if the problem recurs or if you develop fresh symptoms.