I woke up this am around 6:30 am with massive

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2019 in Lump
Question: I woke up this am around 6:30 am with massive pain in my lower right back flank. I tried taking some otc meds but nothing has helped. About an hour after I awoke my husband said there was bruising As they day progresses, my pain is still severe and the bruising is spreading.

I have not fallen and have had no trauma to the area.

I do have a blood disorder called factor v Leiden and an antiphospholipid syndrome, however I am not currently in blood thinners as I had an issue with insurance. It’s since been responded and I’m scheduled to see my primary on Friday.

Subsequently I also noticed in my right shoulder half way between my neck and shoulder that there is a lump about the size of a quarter s fifty cent piece. It’s hard but it is moving. This just occurred over the last two days. Again no trauma to the location and there’s no bruising there.

I’m really concerned and wondering if I should go to the ER

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, do go in to be seen now.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,
I've checked the attached images...

Yes, I think you should go in to be seen in person where. In the ER they can do a physical exam, imaging studies, and blood work. Particularly because of the amount of pain and that the bruising is spreading, I think it is important for you to go in now.

After you have been evaluated, I would be happy to provide you with answers to questions you might have for additional information on the situation, but first, you need to be seen and have tests done.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee