I woke up 4 days ago with a very stiff

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I woke up 4 days ago with a very stiff and painful neck. I can't rotate my neck very far. I use my hands to adjust the position ie when I am sitting, in order to get up I need to apply some pressure on my head an neck ?
Wed, 7 Feb 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be cervical spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
Stiff neck and pain can be due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.
Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
4. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
5. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal