I went to the gym yesterday to work out for

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 5 Mar 2019 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I went to the gym yesterday to work out for the first time in a long time. Upon running at about 6.5 mph my heart rate climbed to 205. My normal resting heart rate is between 60-70 so i found it odd. Im 25, 170 Ib caucasian male 6ft tall. I didnt feel sick or anything or any chest pain it just freaked me out. Is this considered normal?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome to Ask a Doctor service!

I understand your concern and would explain that the maximal heart rate that your heart can reach, based on your age is 205 bpm. This means that you have reached it today.

This does not mean that anything serious is going on! This means only that you have been under a lot of stress during straining physical activity and this is a normal physiological reaction of your heart in this situation.

This situation is probably related to the fact that your have not been active for a long time and your body is not used to straining physical activity and this way it overreacts.

For this reason, I would recommend trying to avoid straining physical activity in the next days and increase gradually day after day the time of workout, in order that your body gets used to physical activity.

In my opinion there is no need for any further tests, as nothing serious seems to be going on.

Hope to have been helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist