I was removing a tonsil stone with a toothbrush last

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 26 Jan 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I was removing a tonsil stone with a toothbrush last week. It was pretty deep and I had to repeatedly press hard, and I did bleed a bit. I'm noticing that that side of my tonsil now looks bigger than my other (I can see the crevices of my tonsil now, and I couldn't before). I'm not in any pain, my throat feels fine, and I don't have a fever. Did I do permanent damage?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

As it just happened last week, it's possible that there is still swelling and that the tonsil may still decrease in size. From your description, basically it sounds as though you did a bit of surgery on that tonsil, so it will need to recover.

It may also be possible that that tonsil had/has larger crypts, which may be why a stone formed there.

Without seeing it, I can't say for sure. You may want to consult, in person, with an ENT (ear nose throat) doctor (also know as otolaryngologist) if the size isn't diminishing.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
How long would you say I should wait to see if it goes down?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
I would say it should start to decrease in size in the next few days, and if, by 2 weeks, there is no change, then have an ENT doctor have a look.

In the meantime, keep an eye on it for signs of infection, although it sounds as though it looks healthy to you other than having larger crypts (spaces/crevices).