question-icon

I was recently hospitalized for 6 weeks after overdosing on

Posted on Fri, 22 Jun 2018
Question: I was recently hospitalized for 6 weeks after overdosing on alcohol and my blood pressure medication (verapamil, diovan and others I take as prescriptions). While I was in the hospital, I was incubated to clean out my stomach. The tubing they inserted through my throat into my stomach damaged my vocal chords and apparently my esophagus. It has been several months and my throat horseness and vocal chords do not appear to have healed.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Vocal cords need voice resting.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
You are so suffering from thoat ulcea. The tube inserted damaged the mucosa and inflammation is happening.
I can recommend you resting your voice , undergoing vocal therapy.
Dont consume alcohol or spicy food because it can irritate throat, also aspirine and ibuprofen can do the same.
Are recommended yo drink more water during day and cold fluids to reduce inflammation.
Gargling with baking soda, salt water csn help.
If these dont help but situation worsens there may be an infection and antibiotics may be needed. Also corticosteroids can help.
If t ant find relieve but only worsenes surgery is last option.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka