question-icon

I was presrcibed Lexapro 10mg for anxiety one a day.

Posted on Mon, 1 Apr 2019
Question: I was presrcibed Lexapro 10mg for anxiety one a day. I havent taken any yet. I am a alcoholic and I am currently down to around 3-4 standard drinks daily, but really need them until i ween off. Is it safe on this medication to drink this amount while on it and any risks involved? Thanks for any help!
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It is best not to use Lexapro with alcohol

Detailed Answer:
Hello again, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. There have not been any reports of any dangerous side effects with using Lexapro and alcohol at the same time. However, alcohol can make many of the side effects of Lexapro worse, including insomnia, drowsiness, and dizziness, as well as slowing down your thoughts and body movements. For this reason, even though you are starting at a relatively low dose, I would not recommend using this medication with someone still drinking as much as you are. If you were only having an occasional drink, I think it would probably be fine, but at this point I would be afraid that the combination may affect you in unpredictable ways.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions about that and I would be glad to discuss it with you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Aaron Branch