I was going thru a divorce and my Dr. started

Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I was going thru a divorce and my Dr. started me on 30mg. duloxetine on 08-24-2018 & increased to 60 mg. 10-01-2018. I called his office and cannot see him for another 3 weeks and am having tremor and muscle pain and want to come off this drug now, & he told me to stay & discuss in 3 weeks. I have OA in facet joints, shoulders & back from old wreck injuries, and this drug is making me hurt more & also tremor and muscle pain. Since I haven't been on drug but for 3 months & want to come off now, what is safe taper and timeframe? I have both 30mg & 60mg capsules. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Three weeks to stop duloxetine.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

You should lower the dosage gradually in order to experience less side effects and to stop it safely.
It is up to your doctor to decide the way to withdraw from it.
I think you may need three weeks to withdraw from it since you have been using it for a relatively short time.
If you were my patient I would suggest you to take 45 mg or 3/4 of 60 mg tablet for a week and the next week lower dosage to 30 mg.
The last week lower it in 15 mg.
So in three weeks you are safely off it.
Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 42 minutes later
Thanks Dr. Xhufka. I only have 30mg and 60 mg. capsules. That being said, & if i were your patient, what would dosage and timeframe be?

Thanks,
XXXXXXX Siracusa
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can buy duloxetine tablets to devide them.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear XXXXXXX Thank you for asking again.
I think you can stop duloxetine lowering dosage gradually.
I can suggest you to use 45mg first week, then 30 mg next week and 15 mg last week.
I am sorry but you can't open duloxetine capsules to devide it to rich 45 and 15 mg dosage.
I would suggest you to buy a blister of duloxetine tablets 30 mg which you can devide in half and use them together with 30 mg capsules to rich 45 mg dosage.
Best regards.
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 1 hour later
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka 1 minute later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Wishing you will get well soon.
Best regards.