I was given Lotrisone cream( Betamethasone dip 0.05%) and clotrimazole

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I was given Lotrisone cream( Betamethasone dip 0.05%) and clotrimazole) I used it on my vulva for 5 to 6 days 2 x per day. It started to burn really bad on day 5 . I stopped it. It burned for 2 weeks after. the skin looks red and irritated still after 2 months. I can see some veins threw the skin, but not capillaries. The skin looks flat. it tingles and feels sun burnt at times. I was putting it on the smooth hairless skin next to the minora. Will this ever heal and look normal or have I thinned my skin? If I have thinned it, will it continue to thin or be irritated by the slightest thing?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Early skin thinning is reversible

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to ask a doctor service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Betamethasone is a potent steroid. It can cause skin changes like telangiectasia etc due to thinning/ atrophy. This is specially common on the delicate and already thin genital skin. Skin atrophy changes like telangiectasia are reversible in early stages and should get back to normal with time.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need any more assistance.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 44 minutes later
Hi, thank you. If it doesn't reverse what can I expect to happen in the future? Will the skin continue to thin and will it be fragile or tear easily? Will I be able to swim with thin skin ? Will it get infected easier? If it is thinned does that compromise the integrity of the skin? Will it make sex hurt? Should I put anything on it? So, sorry but I'm just scared. I've never had this happen before. Is there anything that can make it worse?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding skin thinning

Detailed Answer:
hi.

The skin should recover if you have stopped using the steroid cream, moreover, since you used it for just 5-6 days. It may take a few weeks to recover. You may use a plain moisturizer, nothing else.

take care
let me know if you need any more assistance
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj