I was diagnosed by my physician with strep throat on
I am on 500 mgs of Augmentin twice a day, and am still very sore.
Watch out for other symptoms
I understand your concern. A few flecks of blood after gargling may be the result of breakage of small blood vessels on the tonsils due to inflammation and this is normal.
However, if you notice more bleeding than just a few flecks and if you experience any of the following symptoms such as difficulty breathing, severe throat pain, excessive drooling, inability to open your mouth, or swallow food and liquids or your saliva, or swelling of the neck, you need to see your doctor as soon as possible, as these may be a sign of a more serious problem.
You should start feeling better 24-48 hours after starting the antibiotic, so if you do not see any improvement please contact your doctor.
I hope this answers your question.
So there's no concern about the coughing up the solid pieces of puss that were attached to my tonsils? I just took another look and there's some left over in there, but it's mostly gone now.
Gargling with salt water can have that effect, by bringing down swelling and inflammation of the tonsils caused by infection. Continue the gargling and the antibiotic as prescribed and see your doctor if you do not see an improvement or you start experiencing any of the above mentioned symptoms.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes weight gain while on Ontrintellix?
- Suggest treatment for loss of vision and vomiting
- Suggest treatment for metastatic melanoma
- What causes joint pain while on Requip?
- What causes redness and painful swelling in the eyes?
- What does my ultrasound scan report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for painful rash on the waist
- Does long term use of steroids affect a person's immune system?
- Suggest treatment for leg cramps and shortness of breath
- What do my creatine levels in blood indicate?