I was diagnosed by my physician with strep throat on

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Wed, 27 Feb 2019 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I was diagnosed by my physician with strep throat on Monday (after a positive rapid test). Both of my tonsils had huge pockets of pus on them, to the point that I could see it in a mirror. i was just gargling with saltwater as instructed, and coughed up the solid pus that was on both if my tonsils. there were small flecks of blood. Is this normal? should I be concerned?

I am on 500 mgs of Augmentin twice a day, and am still very sore.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Watch out for other symptoms

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. A few flecks of blood after gargling may be the result of breakage of small blood vessels on the tonsils due to inflammation and this is normal.

However, if you notice more bleeding than just a few flecks and if you experience any of the following symptoms such as difficulty breathing, severe throat pain, excessive drooling, inability to open your mouth, or swallow food and liquids or your saliva, or swelling of the neck, you need to see your doctor as soon as possible, as these may be a sign of a more serious problem.

You should start feeling better 24-48 hours after starting the antibiotic, so if you do not see any improvement please contact your doctor.

I hope this answers your question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 36 minutes later
Thank you for the response!

So there's no concern about the coughing up the solid pieces of puss that were attached to my tonsils? I just took another look and there's some left over in there, but it's mostly gone now.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No concern

Detailed Answer:

Gargling with salt water can have that effect, by bringing down swelling and inflammation of the tonsils caused by infection. Continue the gargling and the antibiotic as prescribed and see your doctor if you do not see an improvement or you start experiencing any of the above mentioned symptoms.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj