I ve recently noticed that skin tags started developing in

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I've recently noticed that skin tags started developing in some areas in my body especially near/around under arms, thighs, neck..etc and some existing skin tags seems growing too. How do we stop getting new skin tags? What are the ways to remove the existing skin tags?
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 minute later
I've attached the blood test report that was taken recently for your reference. Please check and advice. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cause and management of skin tags

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to ask a doctor service
I have gone through your query and reviewed the attached reports.
Skin tags are very commonly seen in overweight individuals and also associated with diabetes, thyroid disease and insulin resistance.
In your case BMI is high which indicates that you are overweight and your blood sugar levels are also borderline. This is the cause of your skin tags.
Also get a fasting insulin levels done.
You can consult a dermatologist and get them removed by either snip excision or radio frequency ablation.
It is a minor office procedure.
To stop the development of new tags you need to go for weight reduction and take tablet metformin 500 mg once daily.
It is a prescription drug and you need to see the doctor in person to get it.
I hope to have answered your query and would be happy to answer any further queries.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj