I used to have irritable bowel syndrome on the first

Question
I used to have irritable bowel syndrome on the first day of my menstrual period, what is the cause of this?
Mon, 12 Feb 2018 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
stress causes episodes of diarrhoea in IBS

Detailed Answer:
What kind of symptoms you have as part of IBS on first day? Is it diarrhoea and or pain abdomen?
Any kind of stress to human body or mind can trigger the diarrhoea in IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). Since menstrual period is kind of monthly stress to womens body so it simple explains why you have diarrhoea type IBS on first day.

Let me know if you have any questions further. Else you may close our discussion.

Follow-up: I used to have irritable bowel syndrome on the first 2 hours later
No I actually had constipation and I know that it wasn't from stress.

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
IBS symptom complex

Detailed Answer:

What do you mean by constipation? Can you describe it? Is it hard stool ? Are you not able to pass gas or not able to pass stool easily?
Do you take any medication for anything else?
If you are not able to pass stool for one day it cannot be labelled as constipation. It should be for three days continously either stool or gas.

Follow-up: I used to have irritable bowel syndrome on the first 12 hours later
Not a question; but a reply. "Dr." Suma you are so stupid; if I'm not able to pass stool for even one day; and passing stool is the only way that I'm going to get relief from my abdominal pain-- then it IS considered CONSTIPATION. And then you missed a major term "irritable bowel syndrome" which encompasses either some or all of the symptoms. And I told you that I had constipation-- so you should have taken it as a fact. The only thing that you gave me is a poor job of explaining away the answer to my question. And in your answer (and I use this word loosely) to my second question-- your grammar was horrible. I had to figure out what you were saying. Please get someone to translate my message to you.

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prostaglandin surge.

Detailed Answer:
I was in a hurry during my previous answer. Sorry you were upset with my grammar. I shall try this time.
There is a big surge in the hormone called Prostaglandin just before menstrual period. This further delays the already delayed emptying time of the bowel in IBS patient. While the symptoms are common in most women due to PG surge we give a generic advise to include beans and peas in the diet nearing the period.
Menstrual period is a stress and IBS symptom aggravate to any kind of stress.
You seem to be upset for simple things this is a symptom of stress for itself and aggravate IBS.

You should be aware that avoiding salt and refined sugar foods can help further. Besides you can start exercising (brisk walk) just before your menstrual period which helps to improve blood and oxygen circulation throughout the body, hurry the bowels.

Please answer to my questions and I cannot assume your symptoms whether you have pain or not. Some people have just incomplete stools / hard stool and do not have pain. I asked you if you have pain and you did not reply to it. I cannot assume in this kind a platform.

Let me know if there is any clarification.