I typically have very hard stools, hard enough that I

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Feb 2019 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I typically have very hard stools, hard enough that I strain a lot to finish my bowel movement which even hurts my back muscles. My doctor gave me Lynzess for constipation but I don't think I am constipated ( I go 3 to 5 times per week) the drug makes me go but it doesn't relieve the hard stool. What do I need to do to soften stool? Over the counter stool softeners don't work real well.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please go through detailed answer dear patient.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for choosing "Ask a doctor" service for your query,
Have seen your details,
I would suggest you to take lactose syrup 15 to 30 ml once daily before going to bed. It is a laxative as well as stool softener and is very safe to use.
Along with it take isaphghul husk psyllium husk 10 gram three times a day. Its a bulk forming natural laxative. It absorbs water from intestine and allow easy passage of stools through rectum.Its very good for you as your stools are hard.

In case of lactose does not help take polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution. Its a osmotic laxative as well as stool softener and would help you.

You can also use lactilol monohydrate crystals.15 gram twice daily. It's also a laxative as well as stool softener.
Take them and you would feel much better in few days.

All the above mentioned drugs are over the counter.

Follow ups are welcome,
Hope you would get relief soon,
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D