I took a hard fall about week & a half

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I took a hard fall about week & a half ago. It was out of the shower on my side & bottom. I use a walker to walk anyways. I had a Cortiz cortisone shot in my lower back from another fall earlier. It had been about 1 1/2 weeks before this last fall. The shot was for the arthritis in my back.
Now when I urinate it is straight down. Did I tear a muscle? I have a problem w/ inconcontenence anyway? I am 69 yrs old & a type 2 Diabetic!
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is unlikely that you tore a muscle

Detailed Answer:
Hi Axwaymca,

It doesn't sound like a muscle tear. However, I need to know what you mean exactly in your description of your urine stream (regarding the urinary stream and incontinence)?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 4 hours later
My urine stream use to be forceful & in all directions, now I can't even feel myself going & never before has the stream been just "falling straight down"!
Follow up: Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 3 minutes later
I have had incontinence for many years w/ my urine too!
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 37 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be an exacerbation of your incontinence

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

It is difficult to say exactly what has happened. It sounds like an exacerbation of your incontinence, and I would recommend you see a urogynecologist. Before this, you should fill out an ICIQ-MFLUTS questionnaire regarding urinary dysfunction that you bring to the urogynecologist. Until then, try avoiding fluid intake after 6 o'clock PM.

Hope this helps. Do not hesitate to contact me again, if you have further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj