question-icon

I thought I may have had an UTI, so I

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2019
Question: I thought I may have had an UTI, so I started taking some left over Bactrim pills I had from a month ago. I get UTIs often. BUT Now I have vaginal spotting. I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago! Should I be worried?
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Do a urine culture and start antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Proper antibiotics are the key thing in UTI.
You can consult a general practitioner and go for a urine culture and sensitivity and start antibiotics according to the culture reports. Irrational use of antibiotics might cause antibiotic resistance and unwanted complications.
Nothing much to worry and you will improve with proper antibiotics.
The vaginal spotting is not related to it and you can seek help from a gynaecologist.
Wishing all the best,
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Shinas Hussain