I think i have bletharitis in my left eye or

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Thu, 4 Apr 2019 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I think i have bletharitis in my left eye or a sty of some sort, I have used warm compress to treat for two days now and it still there
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Explanation of how to differentiate blepharitis from sty and treatment

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor' service.

Blepharitis is a chronic condition, generally for weeks to a month. It causes uniform swelling of the eyelid and red watery eye. The sty is a more acute condition lasting only a few days. Sty generally is a small lump at the root of the eyelashes and may be red and be yellow at the top, it is similar to hair root infection.

If the complaints are there for a few days then very likely this is sty and local warm compresses need to go on and also you may use some eye ointment with antibiotics like Chloramphenicol eye ointment 3 times a day might help. On the other hand, a sty is not a serious infection, it is self-limiting and should go away within 7-10 days.

If the complaints are for weeks now, very likely you do have blepharitis. Antibiotic ointment can be used in this case as well as for sty but longer treatments are needed and you might need to see a doctor if no improvement with a local antibiotic so other treatments can be tired. Warm compresses should be used in the case of blepharitis as well.

I hope this answers your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee