I the MR vaccine supplied by the government safe?

Posted on Wed, 4 Oct 2017 in Child Health
Question: Our daughter who is 23months old has got mmr vaaccine as per schedule. There is a drive going on from government for MR vaccine and we heard lot of stories where children are getting ill and vaccine is effecting a child's life. Is MR vaccine from govt safe? Since mmr is already given, still does she need this MR shot? What are the advantages of this Vaccine? What would might happen if we dont get her MR vaccinated? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Practically same as MMR

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure that the MR (Measles Rubella) vaccine supplied by the government is completely safe and you can go for it. It is similar to the MMR vaccine but after the likely age for mumps is exceeded MR is given as a booster. Yes, she needs this dose as a booster. Unless you give the booster, the immunity from MMR would not get augmented. If somehow she received an MMR instead of MR, the benefits would be the same .

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician