I suffer from gastrointestinal problem. And it is observed that

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 5 Feb 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I suffer from gastrointestinal problem. And it is observed that I feel and remain better with Omez 20 once in a day at empty stomach. Can I take omez 20 regularly for months
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be taken on.long term basis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Your problem seems to be due to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper.

You can continue to take Onze 20 for months but more importantly I would suggest the following

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* If I had a patient like you I would perhaps have suggested Prodep (fluoxetine) 20 mg tablet (long term anxiolytic and a prescription drug) once daily for at least 2 months (it may take time for the action to set in). Discuss about this with your treating physician.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana