I suddenly have experienced numbness ad tingling in my right

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Sun, 27 Jan 2019 in Back Pain
Question: I suddenly have experienced numbness ad tingling in my right arm and hand. It has also gone into my face but is most prominent in my arm and hand.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You will need to have a check to rule out brain conditions (stroke, TIA, bleeding, tumor)- details below

Detailed Answer:

Numbness can be a sign of a nerve pinch or a lesion in the brain. Anxiety might cause numbness in hands and lips as well but not quite one sided as it is in your case. In the case of a nerve pinch generally numbness affects the extremities but is uncommon in the head (face).

In your case because you are having numbness in the arm, hand and face (even though little in the face it is important it is there) it is best to go and see a doctor and rule out brain problems. The fact that it started suddenly also prompts good check and examination.

The doctor will ask some more information from you related to the symptoms and also past medical history and medications you use, if you had any head trauma, etc, and will do a thorough medical examination and probably will ask for a CT scan. This will help rule out stroke, TIA (transitory ischemic attacks that are a predictor of stroke), bleeding and also possible brain lesions (tumors).

I hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Antoneta Zotaj,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana