I started taking baclofen two weeks ago. Now I am

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 20 Feb 2019 in Brain and Spine
Question: I started taking baclofen two weeks ago. Now I am experiencing increased ankle clonus, decrease in fine motor control, e.g. dropping pills, small objects in the kitchen and slurring of multisyllabic words in the evening. Are these symptoms a direct result of the baclofen or should I look elsewhere? Please note that I am 51 years post GSW to the head with resulting spastic L hemiparesis with involvement of the R lower extremity. My PM&R doc says I should consider myself as an 'incomplete quad'.
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 0 minute later
I started taking baclofen two weeks ago. Now I am experiencing increased ankle clonus, decrease in fine motor control, e.g. dropping pills, small objects in the kitchen and slurring of multisyllabic words in the evening. Are these symptoms a direct result of the baclofen or should I look elsewhere? Please note that I am 51 years post GSW to the head with resulting spastic L hemiparesis with involvement of the R lower extremity. My PM&R doc says I should consider myself as an 'incomplete quad'.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably adverse effects of Baclofen use.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to "Ask a Doctor " service.

I have read your query and here is my advice.

It is very likely that the new symptoms that you are referring are related to Baclofen use as possible adverse effects.

This because they appeared days after starting Baclofen.

So, in my opinion, you should seek for another reason right now, since there are adverse effects present and there is no control of spasticity, I think that Baclofen should be tapered off and another possible treatment ways should be evaluated.

Other drugs that may help include clonazepam, tinazidine, dantrolene, etc.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 0 minute later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Hope you found the answer helpful.