I started having sever headaches three days ago and sever

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2019 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I started having sever headaches three days ago and sever nasea today.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Headaches can be difficult to tolerate especially if prolonged.

There are different causes of headache and determining the type depends on the description of the headache and associated features and previous personal or family history of headache.

If you have no previous significant history of headache or you would describe this headache as the worse headache you have ever experienced or there is any history of trauma, then you need to be seen and evaluated. Though it is extremely unlikely, severe headache that is worse than ever previously, can very rarely be due to a bleed.

If there is a previous history of headaches or severe headaches then the above is a lot less likely.

The most common reasons for headache are: tension headaches, migraines , sinus headaches and cluster headaches but there are a number of different types (classified by the international classification of headache disorders.

In that case- (1) if the headache is on both sides of the head in the temporal region, feels tight in nature , not worse when you move about in your regular activity or climb stairs, mild or moderate in its intensity---- then it is likely a tension headache

(2)if the headache is severe, one sided, pulsing/ coming and going, worse with activity, worse with light or sound----- then it is likely migraine

(3)if the pain is around the eye area, there is redness of the eye, eye watery, nasal blockage on that side------- cluster headache

(4)if you have a history of sinus disease, there is facial pain and tenderness of the sinus areas -----sinus headache

If it does not fit the criteria of a headache that needs evaluation, you can use medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen along with dramamine to help with the nausea.
Since there is no drug interaction, the naproxen or ibuprofen can be used along with the tylenol, the two pain killers should work together.

If there is no relief with the use of these medications or the headache worsens then you need to be assessed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions