I sometimes get a herpes breakout on/around my mouth/lips. Is
oral antivirals would work best
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Herpes is a viral infection. The most effective treatments to decrease the intensity and duration of a breakout would be oral anti viral medication.
Though topical meds like abreva can be helpful, the best options for effective treatment would be meds such as acyclovir, valacyclovir or famciclovir.
A prescription would be required to obtain one of these. Your doctor would be able to write one of these for you
If taken as soon as any abnormal sensation occur, there should be a decreased intensity, the rash may still occur but it will resolve faster
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?