Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

I slouch all the time. How to improve posture?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10412 Questions
I find that my posture has deteriorated for the past few months and that I continuously slouch, whether I am sitting or standing. When I try and rectify my posture I thrust my stomach out instead of rectifying the posture from above the middle of the spine. How do I improve my posture?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Slouching is a chronic condition that can lead to back and neck pain, as it does not keep the spine in proper alignment and forces the neck and head to bend upward in order to look straight ahead to compensate for the hunch of the back. Poor posture often develops gradually over time, and can often be alleviated or reversed through proper exercise and a conscious effort to change posture.
It can be caused by weakening of back and shoulder muscles, kyphosis, aging, arthritis, osteoporosis, etc.
You need to consult an orthopedician to find out the exact pathology so that specific treatment can be prescribed.
Most commonly, a specialized physical therapy and back and shoulder strengthening exercises are helpful in bringing the required improvement. Oral muscle relaxants may be helpful in reducing the stiffness. You can consult a proficient physiotherapist for a personalized fitness program.
In some cases, appropriate spine braces are required to correct the persistent deformity.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor