I sleep 16 to q18 hours a day. Doctors aren’t

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I sleep 16 to q18 hours a day. Doctors aren’t able to help. I am 72 years old and have a fib, I do take medication for this which causes some of the problem. But I have to change this sleep pattern. What can I do?
Mon, 5 Feb 2018 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Modafinil can help.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical details. Generally, more sleep has fewer adverse effects on the body, as compared to lesser sleep. However, excessive sleep is also not desirable. If your a fib medications can not be altered or stopped (which could be a part of the sleep problem), you could try modafinil tablets. Modafinil tablets are effective in causing alertness in people who sleep too much.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: I sleep 16 to q18 hours a day. Doctors aren’t 9 minutes later
Where can I get Modafinil. Is it compatible with my other medication..Digoxin, Pradaxa,, Lipitor,Clondine, and Venlafaxine. If so can I buy on line, do I need a prescription?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Modafinil is a prescription drug.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Modafinil is a prescription drug, and you can get it prescribed by your doctor. It is compatible with other medications.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)