I recently had a check up that included many blood
different possible causes
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
It is understand any differences in your results compared to the normal ranges.
The serum iron, ferritin and iron saturation are above the stated range, as you mentioned.
Transferrin is the protein responsible for transporting iron
Ferritin is the protein involved in storing iron
Total iron binding capacity- gives info on the ability of transferrin to transport iron
Though iron overload/excess is one cause of increased ferritin and iron, the other causes would be liver disease (though mentioned that your tests are okay), obesity, inflammation of the body, alcohol use.
Labs state a normal ferritin of approx 200 but in reality a large number of the population have values between 200 to 1000 and treatment is usually become when ferritin is above 1000 or there are symptoms that can be related to iron overload
Iron overload (usually a lot higher than your values) can cause diabetes, liver disease, joint pain etc
If you are experiencing these symptoms and they are not thought to be due to any other reason, may need further assessment which may include imaging.
If the levels were higher (over 1000)- a biopsy would be needed of the liver
Excess iron levels can occur with over use orally or in persons who receive IV iron treatment
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
decreased supplements and iron rich foods should help
Discontinuation of the iron supplements and reducing your oral intake of iron rich foods should help decrease your levels though the change can sometimes take a little while before it is reflected in your blood tests.
The issue has been present for a few years and if you do not have any signs or symptoms related to it- that is good
Please feel free to ask anything else
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?