question-icon

I recently got a blood test back. It showed high

Posted on Fri, 1 Mar 2019
Question: I recently got a blood test back. It showed high cholesterol of 234 and ALT of 51. All other results were normal.

The ALT result concerns me. The lab showed greater than 46 is high. I’ve seen some sites show that above 56 is high.

Is an ALT level of 51 concerning?

I am mildly overweight, have an ok, but not great diet. Occasional drinkers
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (39 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
About elevated liver enzymes;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
The ALT level is over normal ranges but it usually is of concern when it is over twice the normal ranges.
Anyway, it may be increased due to alcohol consumption one night before, due to hepatosteatosis, viral hepatitis, medications ect.

So, i would recommend to check it once again and if it persists high, the above mentioned causes should be ruled out.
Hope the information will help.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni (7 minutes later)
Is there any chance it could be from Liver Cancer?
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni (1 minute later)
I’m pretty anxious about it
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
There are very very low chances;

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
I would say is the last probable diagnosis.
I mentioned above it is very low to be concerned, but if it persists the above mentioned causes need to be excluded. Liver cancer has very low chances to be.
Best wishes,
Dr.mirjeta
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist