question-icon

I pulled a muscle or something in my front right

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2019
Question: I pulled a muscle or something in my front right side neck during a cough. It now hurts when I swallow and feels sort of numb otherwise. Now coughing causes sharp pain a 6 out of 10 level. What happened and should I go to emergency?

Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Probably a muscle strain, follow the advice below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms seem to be related to a muscle

It can happen while a hard cough.

In my opinion, it is not necessary to go in the emergency room.

I recommend using anti-inflammatory medication such as Acetaminophen three times a day.

I also recommend using anti-inflammatory cream or gels for local application such as Voltaren cream.

I also suggest stretching exercises and massage the area to reduce the pain.

The pain will go away, hopefully in a few days.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi