I plan To try to get into a dentist this

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2019 in Dental Health
Question: I plan To try to get into a dentist this week, however I am nervous about what this white area on both sides of my inner mouth mean. this area is basically behind my jaw on my inner cheek and lower gum on both sides. i do not smoke and was just on antibiotics for strep throat. The area does not feel raised at all and it%E2%80%99s almost like the natural skin turned white.
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin Deficiency or oral thrush

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

As per your history and reports, it’s nothing much to worry about. I would like to ask you a few questions:
- are these patches scrappable or non scrappable?
- did they develop after taking antibiotics, if yes then since how long have you been taking antibiotics?
- do these patches have any burning sensation or any foul smell comes from it?

If it can not be differentiated from mucosa in texture and is present since long time then it can be normal and may be due to lack of vitamins A & C. Try to take some multivitamin with antioxidants. Also include green leafy vegetables and citrus fruits in your diet.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 7 minutes later
I am wondering if this could be caused by frictional keratosis. I realized that the area that has these lesions are both where my impacted wisdom teeth meet. They are not raised and do not scrape off. No pain.
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Friction keratosis occurs as a line not as a patch

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Frictional keratosis occurs only at the line where the teeth meet and appears as thickening of that area. It occurs as a line and doesn’t appear as white patch. If you think its a thin line where your teeth meet then it can be frictional keratosis.

Thanks & Regards
Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy