I occasionally get a bloody nose. It starts out of

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I occasionally get a bloody nose. It starts out of nowhere, gushing, and usually doesn't stop until a mass of bloody mucus comes out (very dark colored, looks like a slug made of blood). Usually this is after plugging my nose with something (toilet paper, tissue, ect). This mucus always marks an immediate stop to bleeding.
I'm fairly certain this is just a "environment is too dry" bloody nose, and the mucus gives it time to clot. Is this so, or is it something else? Should i be worried? It's been happening for almost eight years now, usually starting while I'm in bed.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
further evaluation needed...

Detailed Answer:
Hello there,
Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service...
I've gone through your query in details...
I can understand your concerns...

Well, the nose bleeding could be directly related to forceful nose blowing or extreme dryness of the environment also...Please avoid nose-blowing, take some steam inhalation twice to thrice daily, it'll help as a decongestant and ease the sinus drainage...

Apart from this, there are several other causes namely sudden acceleration of blood pressure, some foreign body/polyp inside the nose, damaged nasal blood vessels to name a few...

Please drink a lot of fluids, don't blow the nose, if still bleeding anymore, keep pinching the nose gently by sitting upright. Do inform your doctor in case you're already on any blood thinners as the dosage needs to revised during this time.

Have plenty of warm liquids (soups, broth, porridge etc.), they'll act as an immunity booster and fasten the healing process.

Eight years is quite a long time if you suspect it's only happening after getting in/out of the bed, I'd recommend installing a humidifier in the bedroom first...Along with this follow all other suggestions giver above and observe how you stay thereafter...

If despite following this, there's no improvement within a few days, or you notice the blood clots are increasing, then I'd recommend getting a ENT check-up along with serial blood pressure monitoring and a few investigations such as hemogram, coagulation profile analysis, a chest X-ray and X-ray nose with PNS to look into it further...

Let me know if I can assist you further...

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee