Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

168 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

I m 71 yo diabetic female. Had hysterectomy when in

Answered by
Dr. Parth Goswami

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2012

Answered : 8327 Questions

Posted on Fri, 25 Jan 2019 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I'm 71 yo diabetic female. Had hysterectomy when in my 20's chronic uti symptoms past 2-3 years, retention & urgency issues with normal urine cultures at present. have been on Bactrim some in past when cultures showed e-coli. Symptoms lessened while on Bactrim but return with vigor within 2-4 days after completion of Rx. I'm overweight and tend to get itching red weeping areas in skin folds and under breasts. very painful urination with painful spasmodic sensation in urethra. symptoms continued even though ac1 has been low as 5.0. Yeast problem? Have taken several regimens of Fluconazole. Is there any otc such as azo which may help or possibly a more effective med for yeast, if that is the case.
Answered by Dr. Parth Goswami 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be fungal skin infection and urinary tract infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to the 'Ask A Doctor service'.
I have reviewed your query and below is my advise.

Your symptoms points towards fungal skin infection. For that topical anti fungal cream can be used like clotrimazole or 1% luliconazole for few days.
If infection more than oral itraconazole like antifungal also can be prescribed.

Painful urination clearly suggest towards urinary tract infection or some stone in urinary tract.
For that I suggest you repeat your urineanlaysis and urine culture report. It's advisable to investigate with USG scan and x ray to find any stone if present.

Maintain hydration with lots of water and drink more fruit juice.

Your hba1c seems to be within limit. So maintain glucose level within limit by regular medication.

You should consult nearby physician for examination and get prescription accordingly as mentioned above.

Hope this will help you.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on