I lifted some heavy shopping bags and felt a twinge

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Wed, 20 Mar 2019 in Women's Health
Question: I lifted some heavy shopping bags and felt a twinge in my vaginal area? Should I be worried? I only felt the twinge when I lifted the bags.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch,
Thanks for using 'Ask A Doctor' service.

Since you felt this when you were lifting something heavy, I would suspect this twinge has a musculoskeletal cause, and I would suspect that you strained a groin muscle, which can sometimes feel like it is coming from the groin area as well.

Especially if you don't feel it when you are not lifting anything, I wouldn't be concerned about it. If it does begin to ache when you walk or do any other activity, I would only suggest trying to rest and taking an anti-inflammatory such as Ibuprofen for the pain.

If the pain does recur and definitely feels like it is coming from inside the vagina, then a pelvic examination would probably be appropriate to make sure something there is not anything inside the vagina or cervix that is causing the pain, but I would not expect that this is the case for you.

I hope that helps.
Please let me know if you have any questions about that and I would be glad to discuss it with you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee