I know from prior MRI that I have severe spondylitis

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I know from prior MRI that I have severe spondylitis, and degenerative disease from C 2 through C 7. This includes spinal stenosis. I guess I need surgery.

But here is my questions:

1. I also had an ENT order a soft tissue neck MRI to be certain I had no issues with lymph nodes, tonsils etc as I have been having some mild intermittent pain in the front of my neck left side in like that muscle or tendon that starts like at your ear and runs to your clavicle about 1 to 1 1/2 left of your Adam’s apple. This MRI was fine only the MRI of the cervical spine showed what I mentioned above in the neck. Is my left sided pain I described somehow caused by my cervical spine? I have no other symptoms
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 1 minute later
That’s 1-1 1/2 inches left of XXXXXXX Apple
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, the pain is caused by the cervical spine issues.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to "Ask a Doctor " service.

I have read your query and here is my advice.

The answer to your question is straightforward yes, cervical spine degenerative disease may cause your symptoms.

This is reinforced by the normal soft tissues MRI of your neck and throat.

Regarding the distribution of the pain it is very likely that compression of the left C3, C4 nerve roots is the cause.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D