I just received blood test results. My PSA has gone

Dr. Anders Mark Christensen

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I just received blood test results. My PSA has gone from holding steady at 3.7 (about 8 months ago) to 5.6. The doctor did not tell me he was testing for PSA until after the blood test was done. I did have sex an hour before the blood was taken. Could intercourse have risen the results that much? My free PSA was 21%. I will redo the test, but as you imagine, am very concerned.
Answered by Dr. Anders Mark Christensen 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is probably nothing

Detailed Answer:
Hi Dkurz,

I am sorry to hear about your distress. It is important to keep in mind that the PSA, like any other test, is subject to some degree of uncertainty and periodic changes, that are not associated with disease. Many things, like UTIs, can affect the PSA, so I would also recommend having a retest. Sexual intercourse may also influence results, to some extent. If the PSA remains high, you should have prostate biopsies taken.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad