I just received blood results and my Calcium was 10.3,

Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman

Posted on Sun, 30 Dec 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I just received blood results and my Calcium was 10.3, which, from what I understand is high for a 66 year old. The normal range (per this lab) was 8.6- 10.2. My previous score (18 months ago) was 9.2 (different lab). I do not hydrate well. Could the increase be due to dehydration?
Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ur Rahman 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes dehydration is a common cause of raised calsium

Detailed Answer:
Hi, and Welcome to :Ask A Doctor service". I have read your question and here is my advice.
The values given is slightly over normal but is not anything to worry about too much .
Finding of raised serum calsium on routine investigation is quite common.This is mostly not a concerning issue .And as you siad very rightly this may be becaouse of dehydration on that day , or faulty techniques of sampling or a lab error .So to find a little raised calsium level , we genrally recommend to wait for some times amd rechek it again , if it is again raised then we need to know the cause and that would need detailed work up to know the cause.But to be honest most of the times its an error if it is not too high .If level is too high like over 12 , then we take that seriously as very high calsium is less likely caused by dehydration or else.
Regarding your values , I am quite confident that it does not seem serious by any way for two reasons ,
one that your previous value was quite normal and second that the value is just above normal. So I would suggest you sould not worry , and repeat the test in some times .Hope it would be fine .And your point of dehydration is quite valid that it may be the cause.

Hope I have answered your question. I will be glad to answer any further question about this. kind Regards Dr Mahboob ur Rahman.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy