I just had my annual bloodwork completed and my MCHC

Dr. Aaron Branch

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I just had my annual bloodwork completed and my MCHC was 32.9 and my immature granulocytes were 1.10. What does that indicate? Do I need to be concerned? Do I need follow up testing? I feel fine and haven%E2%80%99t been ill recently. I have migraines and IBS and tale medications as needed only and don%E2%80%99t have any other chronic illnesses. I feel healthy overall.
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry about.

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I'm Dr. Branch, thanks for using Ask a Doctor. Your MCHC is a measure of the concentration of the hemoglobin (the protein that carries oxygen) in the red blood cell. Your result is slightly low (depending on the laboratory), but when they determine the normal range, they usually use what the values would expected to be for 95% of normal people. This means that 5% of people will have results outside the normal range, but not have any disease or anything wrong with them. Your value is just slightly below normal, so unless you had anemia or some other problem, I wouldn't worry about it, and most likely the next time you check your blood it will be back to normal.

The immature granulocytes appear to be higher than normal. Most of the time this is an indicator for infection or inflammation, as these cells are produced as part of the immune system response. This can be a response to something as benign as stress or cigarette smoking. As long as your white blood cell count and everything else looked normal, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you can send a picture of the results, I can take a look to make sure nothing is missed. Otherwise I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any other questions I can help with.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Aaron Branch 1 hour later
what about immature granulocyte result of 1.10?
Answered by Dr. Aaron Branch 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
See below

Detailed Answer:
Sorry, did you see my response earlier?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj