I have worn glasses for the last 40+ years to

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Tue, 27 Mar 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have worn glasses for the last 40+ years to correct nearsightedness. I could see things up close and read without my glasses. A few days ago I started having trouble focusing to read with or without my glasses. Then yesterday while I was driving, I was having a hard time seeing clearly through my glasses which I've always needed to drive. I took my glasses off and I could see almost perfectly without them. I've never been able to see at a distance to read road signs before but all of a sudden I can see. Now I have trouble focusing on objects and print up close. Have you ever heard of a nearsighted person suddenly becoming farsighted? I had a similar experience when I was first diagnosed with diabetes 14 years ago. Once I got on medicine, my vision returned to what it was before. My diabetes now is under good control. My last A1C was 4.8 taken two weeks ago. Do you have an explanation for this occurring?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Advice to follow up with ophthalmologist

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic for your health concern

As per your history, the sudden correction of myopia ( near sightedness) is concerning. Usually with the onset of age related presbyopia ( farsightedness) , peoole notice that it is easier to read/see near objects on removing the correction glasses for myopia. But the vice versa situation in your case where near sightedness get corrected is not usual.
Sudden correction of myopia, means that the length if eye ball has some how decreased or retain has been pushed forward. It can occur in cases like fluid leakage or growth behind retina.
I recommend that you follow up with your ophthalmologist as soon as possible for.detailed evaluation. Sudden correction of myopia and onset of presbyopia is concerning and require further evaluation.

Hope this answers your question
Please let me know if you need further clarification
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T