question-icon

I have white spots on my back and it sometimes

Posted on Sun, 30 Dec 2018
Question: I have white spots on my back and it sometimes itchy. It started with one small spot and now have grown and have three. This is in about three to five years time frame. Can it be cancerous? What is it?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Pityriasis versicolor, not cancerous

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to ask a doctor service
I have gone through your query and reviewed the attached photograph.
It is looking like pityriasis versicolor which is a superficial fungal infection of the skin.
It is not cancerous.
I would recommend you to take anti fungal medicines like capsule itraconazole 100 mg twice daily for 5 days and apply terbinafine cream on the affected area twice daily for 3 weeks.
This should resolve the white spots.
I hope to have answered your query and would be happy to answer any further queries.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist