I have welts that are around my waist that itch.

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I have welts that are around my waist that itch. They look like a bite. About the size of a nickel to a quarter, 6 of them. They itch and I keep getting one or two a day. Can you give me an idea what they are?
Sat, 3 Feb 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images.

Seems like eczematous dermatitis. I suggest you to apply a moderately potent topical steroid e.g mometasone furoate 0.1% cream Or triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% cream, twice daily. In addition I suggest you to take an oral antihistamine e.g Cetrizine 10mg tab once every evening for symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow-up: I have welts that are around my waist that itch. 59 minutes later
Do you know what causes this?

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Predisposition factors include dry skin/atopy, cold weather, irritation from clothing - particularly woolens. Rubbing/scratching tend to exacerbate it further.