Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

I have upper abdominal discomfort for 5 weeks now. The

Apr 2017
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 9763 Questions
I have upper abdominal discomfort for 5 weeks now. The pain is dull, in the middle. The pain is not sharp; not cramp. I have severe chills.

My primary doctor ordered full chemistry blood work along with CA-19-9 marker. Everything including the CA19-9 marker came back normal. The ultrasound did not find anything abnormal. The MRI without contrast did not find anything except for a cyst on kidney.

I asked both my primary care doctor and the GI doctor for the Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) but they both said I don't need it because they don't thank I have pancreatic cancer. Instead, they prescribed Pepcid (Primary doctor) and Protonix (GI). I don't think I have acid reflux or GERD because my discomfort is not cramping or burning pain.

I am frustrated that my doctors did not listen to me. Am I unreasonable or are they unreasonable? From what I read on the internet, GERD symptoms are burning pains, sour taste in the throat; pains are worse when lying down. Whereas, the pain of pancreatic cancer is dull. This is why I am scared because my pain is dull.

1. What do I need to do to convince my GI doctor to perform EUS for me?
2. Do Protonix and Pepcid belong to the same family of drug to treat GERD?
Sat, 3 Feb 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Follow-up: I have upper abdominal discomfort for 5 weeks now. The 18 minutes later
When I asked my GI doctor why he would not order EUS for me, he said my blood work and MRI do not indicate that I have pancreatic cancer and therefore no need for EUS. However, from what I read, blood work (including CA19-9) and MRI are not sensitive enough to pick up small pancreatic tumor. When the CA19-9 is elevated, it's too late.

I don't understand why can't I have EUS before it's too late
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
You do not need EUS at present . find details in answer .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear

Warm welcome to
I have evaluated your query thoroughly with attached reports .

* Dull upper abdomen pain has so many possibilities , even gastritis or ulcer can
be there without burning also .
* Only dull ache involving upper abdomen does not indicate to be afraid of
pancreas cancer .

* There are associated other features to doubt for the same as
- jaundice - low appetite - nausea - vomiting - weight loss - back pain
- gall bladder , liver enlargement - others .
Depending upon the symptoms of the patient , your consultant decides certain
diagnosis and needed investigations best suitable for you .

1. I do not consider that you require to convince your GI doctor for EUS , as you
are not in need of that .
Presently continue medications for around 7 - 10 days , observe for the
progress of the symptoms along with dietary management .
Later on during follow up with the doctor , discuss about further need of upper
GI endoscopy or EUS .

2. Protonix is proton pump inhibitor group medicine pantoprazole , while
Pepcid is H2 receptor antagonist medicine famotidine , both has different
mechanism of action . Protonix grades better above pepcid .

* My recommendations at present for you

- Do not panic at present , only upper abdomen pain is not relevant to fear of
pancreas cancer .
- Always clinical experience matters most above internet findings .
- Dietary precautions with avoidance of oily , spicy , non veg , junk foods .
- Regular walking in fresh air , exercises , YOGA help great .
- Avoid smoking , alcohol if consuming .
- Manage to have regular smooth bowel evacuations .
- Check to have sound regular sleep of 8 hours .
- Maintain your blood sugar , body weight , cholesterol levels .

Wishing you fine health ahead .

Welcome for any further assistance .
Regards take care .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor