I have torn plantar fascia on one foot, prescribed me

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sat, 16 Feb 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have torn plantar fascia on one foot, prescribed me an orthotic boot. I wear it daytime. I love it. There’s no real impact on my foot when I walk. It’s like my foot has it’s own boat! I can walk 15 blocks and no foot pain! I saw online there is something that might be the same as mine, but you wear it to bed. My doctor didn’t say wear it to bed. He said if no improvement in 2 weeks, physical therapy. I wonder why he didn’t mention night splints?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not everyone needs a night splint.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Night splints, which keeps the foot/ankle in a flexed position, can sometimes be annoying to try to sleep in. Usually it is reserved for cases where the plantar fasciitis is not responding to the initial treatments of a rigid orthotic (to prevent foot torsion which can cause the little tears and inflammation) and exercises. I usually recommend 2 exercises right off the bat:
One exercise involves putting a towel on the floor and then scrunching it with your foot by curling the foot. The other exercise is a stretch: put your hands against a wall, and put one foot in front of the other, with your feet facing forward, so that you feel a stretch in the achilles of the back foot.

I couldn't find a video of the 2nd exercise, but here are good exercises you can do at home for plantar fasciitis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kStuJAu0a20

I hope this information helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana