Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

I have the problem of hearing sounds in the ear

Aug 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 1025 Questions
Hi, I have had these symptoms for a week now: loud sound of my own heartbeat on right ear, like a windy sound sometimes (Sometimes when I lay down, bent down, or move my head the sound worsens). Post nasal drip. Pressure on that same ear. I got a CT scan and the only thing that revealed was an abnormal amount of air on the ear bone. Drs were not sure what this meant, did not think it was an infection.. I am not sure why, I have no fever either... about 2 1/2 weeks ago I had some allergic reaction and had runny nose and sneezing for like 3 days but its gone., referred me to an ENT but my appointment is a while from now. HELP! please-- XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 15 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: could be eustachian tube block Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem. At the offset since it's only a week since have the problem of sound in the ear or tinnitus then in all probability will be an acute and benign problem. By your description it's evident that you have an acute eustachian tube dysfunction. This is like an infection of the tube between ear and nose. You must take steam inhalation thrice a for week at least You must take only warm water and fluids I usually advice my patients to take an antihistamine like levocetrizine. Your doctor will know about this You must also take a test called the audiometry and impedance and get back to me or any ENT with the reports In any case you would definitely get better in a week or two. The sound just indicates increased blood flow so don't worry Hope this helps and if you have any other doubts you can ask Regards and wishing you a speedy recovery Dr Sriram Nathan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: I have the problem of hearing sounds in the ear 11 minutes later
Dr Sriram XXXXXXX thanks a lot for your help. It really calms me down. I forgot to mention the sound is there non stop. Is that normal as well?
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: yes Detailed Answer: Hello again, The sound can be non stop without any need to worry. Just make sure you do not have any obvious hearing loss and you have to just wait for the problem to go away in a couple of weeks. Get well soon Regards Dr Sriram Nathan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: I have the problem of hearing sounds in the ear 35 hours later
Dr, I still have all the symptoms, I am experiencing this sensation on the right side of my throat near the jaw, as if I had something stuck in there, I am assuming this is the post nasal drip? What causes this? and what can I do to stop it? I feel like this condition was what gave me the ear infection. HELP! going crazy...would an MRI be of any help? would it reveal more than a ct scan? thanks doc
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 2 hours later
hello again, like I mentioned before the sound maybe due to an infection of the upper respiratory tract which would have caused Eustachian tube dysfunction. In any case this will get better in a couple of weeks at the most. I have to assert again that if you do not have any hearing loss then you have nothing to worry about but if you do have hearing loss then you can very well do the scan. A CT will be more helpful in acute stage though MRI is helpful in some other conditions so it's never a choice between them. It all depends on the additional findings and indications. So in summary, if you do not have hearing loss then just don't worry but if you have hearing loss get both CT and MRI but only under the guidance of an ENT specialist Hope this helps regards Dr Sriram Nathan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor