I have terrible itching ....when I scratch I get welts.

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
I have terrible itching ....when I scratch I get welts. I also get welts from clothing touching my skin. I have tried lotions, warm baths with baking soda showers nothing seems to help. It started in November. I have had blood tests and it shows nothing wrong with my kidneys or liver. Any suggestions
Fri, 2 Feb 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hives m Acute Urticaria

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps you have Hives - Acute Urticaria

I suggest you to apply a topical soothing lotion e.g Calamine lotion.

In addition I suggest you to take an oral antihistamine e.g Cetrizine 10mg tab or Loratadine10mg (Claritin tab) once every evening for symptomatic relief from itching.