I have taken the ZPAC med for 5 days. Started

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Sun, 13 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have taken the ZPAC med for 5 days. Started December 12th. To me it's not working.
Can I switch to another antibiotic, like Keflex now?
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 minute later
Am I contagious??
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
bronchitis is usually viral

Detailed Answer:

let me start with this. In most cases acute bronchitis is caused by viruses, which means that no antibiotic is effective against them. You just need time (3 weeks is the mean time to recovery) to get over it. Zpac is generally a good choice for certain respiratory tract infections but not for all of them. It is as effective as clarithromycin would have been (which is usually given for at least 10 days).

The answer to your question is that you can take another antibiotic if your doctor believes that you should take one. If you only have acute bronchitis it's very unlikely to benefit you. If you have constant headache, stuffy and runny nose (which may mean acute sinusitis) then an antibiotic like amoxicillin-clavulanate might prove more useful. Do not take any treatment decisions yourself though as an inappropriate choice may cause more harm than benefit.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind Regards!