Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

I have severe pain in my upper chest area and right arm

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 6248 Questions
I have had severe pain in my upper chest area In the middle of my chest,and right arm, several times in the last couple of days once a week ago while bowling. Have had swelling in my right arm and hand and legs, off and on. what do you suggest? I am hopeful it is not a heart attack about to happen or is it just indigestion. I am not overweight and eat healthy. Thank you
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: not heart attack Detailed Answer: Hello Cardiac pain is radiated to left arm and not to right arm, so don't worry it is not a heart attack. Pain in arm may be due to injury causes during sport activity. The matter of concern is swelling. Swelling without any known reason may be related to heart failure. Please get an electrocardiogram done. This is a simple test and will help in ruling out cardiac involvement. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: I have severe pain in my upper chest area and right arm 27 minutes later
I have an appointment with my Doctor but not until March 10th, the reason I was somewhat concerned. It is difficult to get appointments due to the Physician shortage in our area. What else could you suggest. I had an ECG done on January 8th along with other tests that are done on an annual basis due to my diabetes which I keep under control. Each time I go out in the cold and walk rapidly Iget the same reaction When I come back in the home, it gradually settles down..could it be my lungs or esoghogus (SP)
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 33 hours later
Brief Answer: cholecystitis Detailed Answer: Hello If ECG is normal, you dont need to worry about heart. Cholecystitis ( gall bladder inflammation ) can present with bloating sensation and pain in right side of chest radiating to shoulder. Please get an ultrasound of abdomen done. Start with antacids. I dont think there is involvement of lungs. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor