I have recently had Xrays showing a bone spur on

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have recently had Xrays showing a bone spur on my heel.
The doctor said that the surgery for that is extensive, involving cutting the tendon, shaving the bone and reattaching the tendon.
He did not recommend doing this as he said it is a very long recovery time.
In the meantime I am having shooting pains, and can hardly walk.
Ibuprofen does not help very much.
My question : Is there anything that can be done to relieve the pain and or deal with this without this drastic surgery ? Any other treatment options? I spoke to a friend and she said that it she had it shattered without surgery

I am wondering if there is another way
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Local steroid injections can help.

Detailed Answer:
Presence of heel spur causes local inflammation that is responsible for the pain that you have. For relief, local steroid injections will help that can reduce the inflammation and thus help with the pain.
Surgery is the only other way if steroid injections do not help and the pain is severe. Regular oral anti inflammatory agents and a hot compress and regular massage can help you till then to some extent.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.