I have quit smoking using nicotine lozenges, but I cannot

Excellent

Question
I have quit smoking using nicotine lozenges, but I cannot seem to quit the lozenges. Can the lozenges cause oral cancer if used long term? I have been using them for almost a year. I have a small irritation on my lower inside lip. It has been there a few days and I am afraid it could grow into cancer if it does not go away.
Mon, 5 Feb 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, please see the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns

Unfortunately, nicotine lozenges increase the risk of having mouth cancer and it is not recommended to use them for more than a few months... Other side effects of nicotine lozenges include sore throat discomfort or heartburn, a painful burning sensation felt at the top of the stomach, heart rate irregularities or unusual mouth sores..

However, I would like to see a photo of the irritated part so that I can assist you more precisely...You can simply upload/attach the picture to the 'Reports section' of this web-page...

I hope you find this helpful..

Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inflammation

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ma'am, Hello again...

This could be only an inflamed part that should resolve within a couple of days.. You can also try salt water gargles to help faster resolution, but I would strongly recommend you stop the nicotine lozenges.

Kind regards

Follow-up: I have quit smoking using nicotine lozenges, but I cannot 1 minute later
I would like to send you a photo but there is really no point. I cannot see the irritation, I can only feel it. It feels kind of like I burned my lip on hot coffee, which is entirely possible. If it gets worse I can send you a picture